Manage episode 324096961 series 2832114
It's election week in Hungary, and this April 3rd, Hungarians will also voice their views in a referendum on the controversial Child Protection Act.
For months, we've been out in the streets protesting this law that puts LGTBQI+ people in the same category as paedophiles (wtaf?!) and, instead of protecting kids, will put a whole generation of queer and trans children at risk.
In this episode, Lucy meets Laura Schlingloff, one of the co-founders of queer walking group Dykes on Hikes Budapest. We take a stroll through the complexities of the word "Dyke", before discussing Laura's personal journey towards pregnancy with her Hungarian wife Zsuzsanna. Laura explains the barriers that exist for same-sex couples embarking on parenthood in this part of the world, and Lucy and Laura chat about the Child Protection Act from the perspective of queer parents raising children in Hungary.
- Follow Dykes on Hikes @dykesonhikes_budapest (Instagram)
- Read about the word dyke here: https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/06/01/is-the-word-dyke-offensive/
- Read about Hungary’s Child Protection Act here: https://telex.hu/english/2021/06/23/hungary-anti-lgbt-law-sexual-minorities-portrayal-promotion-paedophilia-viktor-orban-ursula-von-der-leyen
- Read about the referendum on the Child Protection Act here: https://www.euractiv.com/section/non-discrimination/opinion/why-orbans-child-protection-referendum-makes-no-sense-and-why-it-does/
- In Hungarian: Read about Amnesty Hungary & Háttér Society’s referendum campaign, Érvénytelenül, here (in Hungarian): https://www.ervenytelenul.hu/
And if you’re able to vote in Sunday's referendum, remember: Fontos a két X! Don’t forget to put 2 X’s!
ALSO! Many of our MiaFemme English podcasts are put together voluntarily, so if you want to be an accomplice, you can support us here: https://www.patreon.com/miafemme. A new MiaFemme English episode will drop around once every three weeks, follow us for more content on Instagram: @miafemme_english. And if you are looking for a business partnership, email firstname.lastname@example.org.