All about Playwright
Manage episode 348046033 series 1391411
Debbie O’Brien –Senior Program Manager at Microsoft– joins Amal & Nick for a deep-dive on Playwright, an automation library for cross-browser end-to-end testing. Along the way, we learn why Microsoft decided to fork Puppeteer, Playwright’s unique value proposition, cool features like auto-waiting & the trace viewer, how it compares to Cypress & a lot more.
Changelog++ members save 3 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Square – Develop on the platform that sellers trust. There is a massive opportunity for developers to support Square sellers by building apps for today’s business needs. Learn more at changelog.com/square to dive into the docs, APIs, SDKs and to create your Square Developer account — tell them Changelog sent you.
- Sentry – Working code means happy customers. That’s exactly why teams choose Sentry. From error tracking to performance monitoring, Sentry helps teams see what actually matters, resolve problems quicker, and learn continuously about their applications - from the frontend to the backend. Use the code
CHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- Ship It! – A podcast about getting your best ideas into the world and seeing what happens. Listen to an episode that interests you and subscribe today.
- Debbie O'Brien – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Amal Hussein – Twitter, GitHub
- Nick Nisi – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Shout out to Caio Amaral for requesting this episode. You, too, can request an episode!
- Playwright on GitHub
- Playwright test for VSCode
- Getting started - VS Code
- Testing Library
- Playwright on YouTube
- What’s new in Playwright 1.27
- Test Generator
- CI GitHub Actions
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - Opener
(00:19) - Sponsor: Square
(01:12) - It's party time, y'all!
(02:02) - Welcome Debbie!
(03:03) - Getting to know Debbie
(03:34) - Where is Mallorca?
(04:02) - Life before Microsoft
(05:18) - Playwright is like the Beatles...
(06:09) - What is Playright?
(08:35) - The origin of the name "Playwright"
(09:43) - Why fork Puppeteer?
(11:29) - Playwright's value proposition
(14:24) - Test isolation is the answer
(16:14) - Don't sleep on auto-waiting
(17:24) - No Selenium legacy here
(19:21) - Sponsor: Sentry
(20:13) - More on multi-browser support
(23:57) - Please explain this black magic!
(24:54) - What about older browsers?
(26:45) - Debugging straight from the browser
(28:38) - "Nick's Playwright Infomercial"
(31:09) - On Playwright's release videos
(34:26) - The VS Code extension
(34:54) - Talkin' 'bout code generation
(39:07) - Nick's beloved TypeScript
(39:56) - Sponsor: Ship It!
(41:25) - The Trace Viewer
(48:22) - Recommended CI practices
(49:43) - Playwright vs Cypress
(58:02) - How to get involved
(59:32) - Debbie's Playwright magic wand
(1:00:24) - Wrapping up
(1:00:48) - Outro