Manage episode 348017846 series 52378
The idea that meditation is a "mind science" is popular, but in this interview Canadian philosopher Evan Thompson argues that this claim does not stand up to either scientific or philosophical scrutiny. As one of the pioneers of the Embodied Cognition movement Thompson reminds us that the Mind is not restricted to the Brain and we must also consider how other recent discoveries in neuroscience fail to support the claim that meditation provides neutral scientific insight into how the Mind really works.
Links and References:
- Evan Thompson's website
- Why I am not a Buddhist by Evan Thompson
- Cosmopolitanism: Ethics in a World of Strangers by Kwame Anthony Appiah
- The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience by Francisco J. Varela, Evan T. Thompson, Eleanor Rosch
- Mind in Life: Biology, Phenomenology, and the Sciences of Mind by Evan Thompson
- discussed in BS 198
- Waking, Dreaming, Being: Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience, Meditation, and Philosophy by Evan Thompson
- discussed in BS 115
- Please visit http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additional references and episode transcripts.
Please Visit Our Sponsors:
- TextExpander at textexpander.com/podcast
- BetterHelp at betterhelp.com/GINGER
- MasterClass at MasterClass.com/ginger
- Contact Dr. Campbell if you are interested a listener meet-up or sponsoring a talk by Dr. Campbell during her trip to Europe in April 2023.
- Get free gift "5 Things You Need to Know about YOUR Brain when you sign up for the free Brain ScienceNewsletter to get show notes automatically every month. You can also text brainscience to 55444 to sign up.
- Check out the Brain Science podcast channel on YouTube
- Support Brain Science by buying Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty by Virginia "Ginger" Campbell, MD. (Autographed copies are available)
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Learn more ways to support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
Connect on Social Media:
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: email@example.com