BS 170 Numbers in the Brain with Andreas Nieder
Manage episode 257153741 series 52378
BS 170 is an interview with Andreas Nieder, author of "A Brain for Numbers: The Biology of the Number Instinct." We talk about the surprising discovery that a wide variety of animals have a number instinct, which is called the approximate number system. This appears to provide the basis for the more abstract mathematical abilities that are seen in humans. We also explore the relationship between mathematics and language.
Links and References:
- A Brain for Numbers: The Biology of the Number Instinct by Andreas Nieder
- The Number Sense: How the Mind Creates Mathematics, Revised and Updated Edition (2011) by Stanislas Dehaene
- Please visit http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additional references and episode transcripts.
Please Visit Our Sponsors:
TextExpander at http://textexpander.com/podcast
- In April 2020 Brain Science returns to a monthly schedule: it return to the 4th Friday of every month.
- The expanded 2nd Edition of Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty will be published in late April or early May. See newsletter below for updates.
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month.
- To win an Amazon gift certificate: post a review of Brain Science in iTunes and send me a screenshot.
- Learn how you can support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post voice feedback at http://speakpipe.com/docartemis.
Connect on Social Media:
- Twitter: @docartemis
- Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/brainsciencepodcast
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: email@example.com
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis